This weekend countless people will be putting up their Christmas trees. Fans of live trees will hit the farms and tree lots, while artificial tree lovers will dig their trees out of storage. Over the past decade many more people have transitioned from live trees to fake because they are easy to take care of and there is no watering, but there are pros and cons to both. If you aren’t sure what you want to put up this year, consider the benefits and pitfalls of each:
- Picking a tree is fun.
- They are recyclable.
- They require no assembly.
- They smell amazing.
- They are a pricey yearly expense.
- They require watering.
- They are messy and needles will be everywhere.
- There could be bugs in your tree.
- They are low cost and are a one-time expense.
- They make no mess.
- They don't require any watering.
- They are actually more flammable than a healthy watered live tree
- They are not eco-friendly, because they don’t biodegrade.