Producer David here - a while back Delilah posted a photo of herself and one of the GIANT rhubarb leaves from her amazing garden on Facebook. At the time, we asked visitors for their favorite rhubarb recipes - and Delilah got enough for every recipe out there! Many were kind enough to send us their best-loved, tried-and-true, blue-ribbon-winner rhubarb treats.
From fruit leathers to sauces, pies to puddings, and bars to breads, I’ll never have to ask myself “What am I going to do with all this rhubarb?!” again!
Here’s the first of many recipes I’ll share. This one comes from Bonnie - thank you!
Rhubarb Nut Bread
- 1-1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup veg. oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups fresh rhubarb stalk, cleaned and diced
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- For Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tblspn softened butter
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients: brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla, blend well.
- Add dry mixture to large bowl, stir to combine and add diced rhubarb and nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured bread baking pans.
- Blend the Topping ingredients in a small bowl with a fork, sprinkle over tops of bread batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees approximately 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool, slice, and enjoy with a cup of tea!!!