We (like most,) have a garbage disposal at home. And, like most folks, will put practically anything that isn't too "solid" in it. Buzz 60 weighed in and asked plumbing professionals their opinion.
According to the pros, these are the 5 things that should never go down the sink drain:
- Paint: Seems like a no-brainer, but it happens all the time. Not only is paint toxic and filled with harmful chemicals that can contaminate water and soil, but if paint goes down the drain and dries in the pipes you could be in for some devastating repairs.
- Pasta: If you’ve got a garbage disposal, don’t pour leftover cooked pasta down the drain. The starch can coat the blades of the disposal, making it less effective, and then the larger pieces that get through can swell in the pipes and cause a blockage.
- Eggshells: The dried egg that’s still in the shell can get into your pipes and on your disposal blades, and be impossible to rinse off. If you’ve ever tried to clean dried egg off of a surface you know it basically turns to cement and can be corrosive.
- Medicine: Water supplies are getting seriously contaminated by people disposing of unused or expired medicine down the drain. You don’t want to flush this stuff. Instead, take old mediation to proper disposal sites like hospitals and pharmacies.
- Coffee grounds: Coffee grounds are the most common cause of drain problems because they can easily clog pipes. Throw those wet grounds in the trash, in your garden or in your compost instead. (Buzz 60)